Do you prefer buying a phyiscal or digital copy of a game? (Same price)

Topic started by Wolverine on March 24, 2011. Last post by Toryss 4 minutes ago.
Post by Wolverine (3,690 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Phyiscal
  • Digital
Post by MattyFTM (10,215 posts) See mini bio Level 26 / 856 ACH / 7845 P
Online Now
I prefer having both. i.e. PC retail games that activate on steam or another download service. That's the perfect scenario. I don't have to wait hours for a game to download and it doesn't eat into my bandwidth limit, yet when I inevitably lose the box and disk I can redownload the game whenever I want.
Post by PhatSeeJay (1,274 posts) See mini bio Level 30 / 2003 ACH / 25035 P
If it's the same price I rather buy retail.
Post by ShiftyMagician (908 posts) See mini bio Level 12 / 435 ACH / 0 P
Whenever possible and if affordable to me, I will opt for a physical disc.  In the hypothetical scenario that a digital game provider goes down the drain (which can happen), I still have a physical copy for myself which I can install in with either the help of developers unlocking their games for use without the dead service, or by hackers with cracks to continue playing the products that I buy.

For now digital is definitely reliable and I often go that route for bargain deals on Steam at times, but as a rule I will never want to rely solely on any remote resources, which ain't just digital game distribution services.
Post by Wolverine (3,690 posts) See mini bio Level 10 / 37 ACH / 465 P
I prefer buying the digital version just because I want all of my media to live in the cloud and I don't want to have to worry about scratched discs. Also, I hate clutter.
Post by Demyx (2,603 posts) See mini bio Level 12 / 208 ACH / 955 P
I only buy on steam because of sales, other than that, I would probably prefer retail.
Post by Devil240Z (1,016 posts) See mini bio Level 15 / 559 ACH / 7835 P
Digital. Fuck having more crap in my house.
Post by TheDudeOfGaming (741 posts) See mini bio Level 15
On one hand,you can give a game to a friend and never see it again...*sigh*
On the other you can show off....so yeah physical.
Oh and

Post by Slaker117 (1,054 posts) See mini bio Level 27 / 1699 ACH / 34045 P
Online Now
Depends on the game. If it's some big release I like having the box, but I'd be totally fine going all digital.
Post by Nikral (178 posts) See mini bio Level 23 / 1091 ACH / 9520 P
Consoles I will only buy physical unless of course it is XBLA game.  
PC I usually don't tend to buy games unless they are on Steam or made by Blizzard (Which I get a physical copy because of their collectors editions and they do have download service)
Post by Gamebite (17 posts) See mini bio Level 10 / 2057 ACH / 36162 P
 This is starting to change for me. I would like to stop buying closets to put my games in :P On the other hand if you have digital copies you can't resell them to a vendor who supports that.

But i'll go for digital just because it will always be there. With a retail disc you run the danger of damaging the disc and me not like that!
Post by YoungFrey (413 posts) See mini bio Level 30 / 1865 ACH / 25325 P

I'm not opposed to download versions of console games, but so far I have yet to see a 360 download that is cheaper than the disk.  And once you factor in that you can resell a disk for a little, the comparison is even worse. 
Post by KillyDarko (522 posts) See mini bio Level 30
If we're talking same price here, then physical, of course :)
Post by Underachiever007 (1,104 posts) See mini bio Level 18
Digital. I don't like clutter in my house.
Post by Butler (9 posts) See mini bio Level 8 / 328 ACH / 5790 P
Physical. 

For whatever reason I'm illogically paranoid that one day companies will have an oopsies moment and deny all ownership of digital copies. So, I like to have the physical game in my hands to prove i own it.
Post by ultimatepunchrod (81 posts) See mini bio Level 8
i like having the stuff on my shelf. to me, digital is only useful when its a portable device. but if its a console then i want the boxes on display i guess haha
Post by mfpantst (830 posts) See mini bio Level 15 / 766 ACH / 13120 P
digital- I'm beyond having to use my optical drive often.
Post by iam3green (9,974 posts) See mini bio Level 12 / 829 ACH / 12835 P
Online Now
it depends on which platform. if it's for consoles i'll buy physical but, if it's for PC then i will buy off of steam.
Post by weegieanawrench (738 posts) See mini bio Level 24 / 1595 ACH / 31045 P
Physical here. I don't buy very many games so clutter is not really an issue for me. And if it's the same price, then doubly so.
Post by Akeldama (3,368 posts) See mini bio Level 16 / 974 ACH / 13645 P
@MattyFTM said:
" I prefer having both. i.e. PC retail games that activate on steam or another download service. That's the perfect scenario. I don't have to wait hours for a game to download and it doesn't eat into my bandwidth limit, yet when I inevitably lose the box and disk I can redownload the game whenever I want. "
Exactly this.